Wednesday, August 16, 2023

A Movie You Might Have Missed #89 — All Through the Night

It's been 12 years since I began this series highlighting movies I wished more people knew about. I'm rerunning it from the beginning because I still think these are movies you might have missed. 

This is the last of the Movies You Might Have Missed ... until I come across another one!


I can't remember where I heard of this 1942 movie but the premise was intriguing. Humphrey Bogart is a gambler with a taste for only one bakery's cheesecake. When the baker is killed, he goes hunting for the murderer and unexpectedly stumbles upon undercover Nazi saboteurs. In New York City!

This movie is both humorous and dramatic, as with To Be or Not to Be or Night Train to Munich. I liked both of those movies better but we found it entertaining. And there were a lot of genuinely amusing moments and clever dialogue. I especially liked the opening when a group of gamblers are arguing WWII battle tactics based on their experience fighting rival gangs.

It features a star-studded cast including Peter Lorre, Conrad Veidt (Major Strasser in Casablanca), Judith Anderson (Mrs. Danvers in Rebecca), William Demerest, Phil Silvers, and Jackie Gleason. All seemed to be having a lot of fun playing their parts to the hilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment