Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Gospel of Matthew: Allow It Now

Matthew 3:13-17

I never caught the subtlety of this wording and certainly haven't ever heard anyone else mention it. What an eye opener as to God's continuing respect of our free will, as Jesus shows us here.
15 Jesus said to him in reply, "Allow it now, for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness." ...

Jesus tells John to allow him to receive baptism because that is fitting for us: God's plan involves John as well as Jesus. God invites and requires our cooperation, as well; we must allow God to carry out his saving activity in and through us. Then he allowed him: John accepts Jesus' words and acts in accordance with them.

For reflection: What is God asking that I allow him to accomplish in and through me?
Quote is from Bringing the Gospel of Matthew to Life. This series first ran in 2008. I'm refreshing it as I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment