Thursday, December 27, 2018

Best of 2018 - Books

In 10 words or less, my top picks from the books I read last year. You may find old books here but if they're on this list, then they were new to me!




The Man Who Was Thursday
by G.K. Chesterton
We were warned. The subtitle is "A Nightmare." Loved it! 
(My review here.)


Cool & Lam series 
by A.A. Fair (Earle Stanley Gardner)
Bad-tempered Bertha Cool and clever, attractive Donald Lam. Detecting perfection.
More here.


Big Book of Rogues and Villains
edited by Otto Penzler
Mostly good-hearted rogues or villains being foiled. Delightful!
(My review here.)


The Boys in the Boat
by Daniel James Brown
Inspiring, informative, historical. Going on my "best ever" list.
(My review here.)


The Best Cook in the World
by Rick Bragg
Personalities, old customs, and hard times — more memoir than cookbook.
(My review here.)

Brideshead Revisited
by Evelyn Waugh
I respect and admire but didn't love. Will definitely reread.  


The Black Swan / St. Martin's Summer
by Rafael Sabatini
Totally entertaining swashbucklers/romances.
(My reviews here.)


The Fellowship
by Philip Zaleski and Carol Zaleski
Far superior to other books I've read on the Inklings.


Mother Angelica's Answers, Not Promises
 by Mother Angelica with Christine Allison
Solid advice, instruction, inspiration.  
(My review here.)


A Catholic Introduction to the Bible: The Old Testament
 by John Bergsma and Brant Pitre
Informed opinion, trustworthy scholarship, fascinating reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment