Monday, December 29, 2014

Favorite Movies of 2014


My favorite movies seen in 2014 with descriptions in 10 words or less. In the approximate order in which I saw them. Links are to reviews.

  • Much Ado About Nothing (Joss Whedon, director)
    If all Shakespeare movies were like this, I'd love Shakespeare.

  • Gravity
    Gravity. Not mentioned once in the movie. But integral.

  • Captain Phillips
    Intense. Just remember to breathe.

  • I Confess
    We should all have a priest as good as this.

  • Mud
    Where I learned to not hate Matthew McConaughey.

  • The Guard
    Directed by a McDonagh. Which means clever, humorous, and nuanced.

  • Calvary
    Not for the faint-of-heart. But simply astounding.

  • Spinning Plates
    It's not what you cook. It's why.

  • That Guy ... Who Was in That Thing
    16 faces you recognize but can't name. 16 fascinating stories of Hollywood.

  • Halloween
    It defined a genre. And deservedly so.

  • Mama
    A supernatural thriller I didn't want to love, but couldn't resist.