Wednesday, April 30, 2014

What We've Been Watching

URBANIZED
★★★

This director's best documentary remains Helvetica, perhaps because the topic was fairly focused. In Urbanized he gathers a lot of different opinions from around the world about different urban areas and problems and solutions. It was interesting, but in the end it all seemed to come down to the fact that urban areas that work are those where the concerns of residents are met effectively. And I think we knew that already, didn't we?




MUD
★★★★½

I'd heard this was Matthew McConaughey's return to showing his potential as an actor so I was somewhat interested in seeing it. My husband saw it was streaming free on Amazon Prime so we watched it and it was a rewarding story indeed. The acting was top notch and the story was like a cross between Mark Twain and To Kill a Mockingbird, set on the Arkansas River.

It is a coming of age story defined by a 14-year-old boy's knowledge of what constitutes true love in the best sense. As the adults around him fail to live up to that understanding, he and a friend encounter the mysterious Mud living on an island. And things both fall into place and get more confusing, as is the way of both movies and of life. Excellent performances, especially from the local Arkansas boy who plays the best friend of the protagonist.

Although this is good, it seems like a standard coming of age story in many ways until the final scene of the movie, which redefines and broadens the entire story. It is that scene which suddenly makes one realize the masterpiece which is Mud.


MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING
★★★★★

I'm not crazy about Shakespeare but when I got done watching this I wanted to own the DVD. If only Joss Whedon would do more Shakespeare to follow this project ... then I might learn to love Shakespeare.

4 comments:

  1. "Although this is good, it seems like a standard coming of age story in many ways until the final scene of the movie, which redefines and broadens the entire story. It is that scene which suddenly makes one realize the masterpiece which is Mud."

    Quoting for truth. Carry on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard you say again and again that you just can't get into Shakespeare, but I'll still persist in telling you you must give the latest BBC adaptation of Henry IV-V a shot (broken record, I know!). Yes, it's long, but they did a superb job of keeping the dialogue 'natural' and not 'declamatory,' like we see in a lot of plays and film adaptations (I think you mentioned on the podcast that this is part of what made Whedon's 'Much Ado' so likable). I was never really exposed to the histories in school (tragedies and comedies are easier to teach, I guess?), but after watching 'The Hollow Crown' I wanted to up and go read all of them. They're all so full of drama and explorations of human growth and weakness (Henry IV is essentially the story of how a drunk teenager mans up and becomes a king). Plus, with Tom Hiddleston + Jeremy Irons, how can it go wrong? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. JoAnna, I guess what I should say more is that I have a hard time making myself watch Shakespeare. Often, once I have made the effort it is a rewarding experience. It will just take a long time of doing that before I approach him the way I now do Dickens (who used to get the same reaction from me). I have had the Hollow Crown series on my list since either you told me or I saw it mentioned on that BBC series Shakespeare Uncovered.

    Also, I will have to get Tom on board.

    If you like the histories, you need to listen to ChopBard if you aren't already. He is steadily working his way through the historical plays. And if I ever get the time, I am going to listen to all of them. :-)

    ReplyDelete