Tuesday, September 8, 2026

A Movie You Might Have Missed #105 — Song Sung Blue


Based on a true story, two down-on-their-luck musicians form a joyous Neil Diamond tribute band, proving it’s never too late to find love and follow your dreams.

I didn't realize how many Neil Diamond songs I heard on the radio when I was growing up. Evidently it was practically all of them since I knew the words to every one sung in this charming, easy to watch movie.

Hugh Jackman and Kate Hudson have never been more appealing. Hudson portrays a depth I've not seen her called on to show. No wonder this earned her an Oscar nomination for Best Actress.

I'd never encountered before the motivations of people who put on these sorts of shows. This movie also shows us people who must be involved in music to thrive, be they dentists, mechanics, or tour guide. They know they won't be famous or even probably make money but it is in the doing that they find fulfillment.

This is the sort of little movie that you don't see too often these days. Like Thelma, The Dish, Shower, and The Castle, this has earned a place in our pool room.

Excellent performances all round and a great script that never showed us a gun in the first act without firing it in the third. Plus - I knew every song.