Thursday, April 30, 2026

Hot Takes on the Classics podcast

Hot Takes on the Classics is no dusty, academic approach to great books. It’s a gossipy, exciting discussion about the best literature ever written. Hosted by Tim and Emily, who are veteran teachers and long-time friends, Hot Takes is packed with playful debate, meaningful speculation, and hearty laughs.
I'm a fan of podcasts that discusses a book over many weeks because they're taking a very close look at it. I love this. In fact, I first encountered this podcast's co-host, Tim, on Close Reads.

However, I was intrigued by the idea of covering a classic book in 40 minutes, complete with a hot take on the end. They did a really good job of giving the flavor of a book, a quick summary and then zeroing on the author's focus - the reason the book was written in the first place. After that context, comes the discussion about what that book means to us today.

I was even more intrigued when I discovered that they were selecting books as parts of series looking at different topics. The first series was War. The second was Love.

It's quick, lively, and fun. Try it!