Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Scum of the Earth by Alexander C. Kane


I have enjoyed Alexander C. Kane's writing from the moment that Andrea Vernon and the Corporation for UltraHuman Protection came out on Audible. That series dealt with superheroes from a business management point of view. The Orlando People series featured X-men style mutants and the prejudice they faced for having small talents. Dragon Heist was just glorious fun looking at looting a lair, pulling together a band of thieves in a small Southern town, and Alabama football. (Also the funniest dragon you will ever meet.)

All of these books all fell under the category of "fun summer reading." Sure, they had underdogs and might touch on deeper issues but it was always in service of the adventure and humor. They are popcorn books, fun and funny.

This book is something else. Kane actually writes a real science fiction novel. This book looks at alien invasion from the point of the collaborators, the turncoats who wholeheartedly cooperate with the subjugation of the human race to a life of fear and misery.

So it's dark. And it's about a topic that I do not want to read about. That's why it came out in January and it took me until September to try it. In fact, I did something I never do — I picked up the Kindle copy (only $4.99 - his books are always reasonably priced) — and read the last chapter first. Hey, I read 1984 last year and I didn't need that kind of thing hitting me again. So I'll tell you it isn't 1984.

Reassured I began reading. Then, as is the case with Kane's books, I began reading faster and faster, unable to put it down. Although the book is definitely dark, it has ironic moments that help lighten the mood. There also are small humorous comments that I didn't notice until I was listening to the audio book. Kane's books have always really shone in audio.

I was surprised to see that, although it isn't 1984, there are definite echoes of concepts and themes that I found when reading it. Doublethink, to name just one example, is everywhere.

There are chances for redemption which are examined through the lens of all sorts of characters from True Believers (ah, but what do they hitch their belief to?), opportunists, and those seeking fulfillment in doing what they do best. All of this is expressed through the way people are living under the invasion.

And all this is still, as is Kane's talent, expressed through a riveting adventure story that you can't put down. Highly recommended.

NOTE: I realized that I've been very lax about posting reviews of Kane's other books. I'll be catching up on that soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment