Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Polite Society


"I am the fury!"
Martial artist-in-training Ria Khan believes she must save her older sister Lena from her impending marriage. After enlisting the help of her friends, Ria attempts to pull off the most ambitious of all wedding heists in the name of independence and sisterhood.
Really enjoyable, with a fresh, fun feel that made me think of Scott Pilgrim vs. the World and The Man Who Feels No Pain. With a touch of a Get Out vibe. 

Coming-of-age stories usually bore me to death but this lively movie leaves regular expectations far behind. I especially enjoyed Ria's two friends as a sort of Greek chorus who predicted both Lena's and Ria's plotline through the film. The fight sequences entertained me in a way they usually wouldn't since they allowed me to gauge Ria's real ability to do the stunts she's been practicing. And the fights that were during the wedding became truly beautiful as the gorgeous saris swirled during kicks and jumps.

 Finally, I defy anyone to watch Ria's "spa day" with her sister's mother-in-law-to-be and not laugh. It's a whole new kind of torture. 

I look forward to more from this director.

No comments:

Post a Comment