Friday, October 6, 2023

Psalm 39 — To Know Gladness

  If ... you wish to pray on your own behalf as the enemy prepares the attacks, there is all the more reason, in arming yourself for the battle, to sing the words of Psalm 39.

Athanasius, On the Interpretation of the Psalms

When discussing Psalm 38, I forgot to mention that we're down to the last four of the psalms of Book 1 of Psalms, The Laments of David (psalms 38-41). It hasn't escaped our notice that we've been working our way through many laments. So. Many. Laments. 

Then we'll be on to Book 2, which is the Triumphs of David! Huzzah! First though let's keep in mind that these last four laments seem to be an extended meditation on personal sin as the cause for divine judgment, the need for confession, the need for God's aid, and pleas for delivery from suffering. 

General thinking is that they were written by David and present his sufferings and trials when he is not yet delivered but is still confident that God will help him. It is worth keeping David's life in mind when reading these psalms. Of course, our lives are reflected here also and that is the more important part of any meditation.

I was struck, when reading this psalm and the commentaries, by how similar this is in some ways to Ecclesiastes. The psalmist talks about how fleeting life is, that "each man's life is but a breath. Man is a mere phantom as he goes to and fro." And so forth and so on.  

Never do we feel more like this than when we are in the depths of despair with no help or answers immediately forthcoming.

Were can the psalmist look for help? To God, of course!

Psalm 39 in a Franciscan manuscript

I've said plenty above but wanted to share this from St. Ambrose which really touched my heart.

39.13 To Know Gladness
Forgive Me. Ambrose. Forgive me, so that I need no longer be a pilgrim and a wayfarer. Forgive me so that I may be called home from exile. If you forgive me, before I go from this place, I shall no longer be an exile and a pilgrim. Once you will have forgiven me, I will not longer be in foreign parts. I shall be a fellow citizen of your saints; I shall be with my ancestors, who were pilgrims before me and are now truly citizens. I shall be a member of God's household. I shall not dread punishment but also merit grace through our Lord Jesus; with whom, Lord God, be praise to you, and honor and glory forever; now and always for ages of ages. Amen. (Commentary on Twelve Psalms 39.39.)
Psalms 1-50 (Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture)

An index of psalm posts is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment