Tuesday, October 3, 2023

Cinderella (2015)

Kenneth Branagh's live-action Cinderella and the best of the live-action Disney remakes because they stuck to the story without trying to improve it for modern values.

Sumptuous, gorgeous, thoughtfully told, with surprising depth, charm, and a dash of humor. Perfect!

I was especially impressed with the moral underpinning and the way the evil stepmother's story subtly intertwines with Cinderella's by the end. Never has one had a better example of the reason to "have courage and be kind." This is so simple but so all encompassing that I've found it echoing through my head as I face difficult situations in my own life. I didn't expect to be motivated by Cinderella but that is the power of this telling of the classic fairytale.

I loved it long ago and loved it equally this time around. We showed it for my mother who hadn't seen it but who also loved it. I wasn't sure how my husband would take it, though he is always willing to sacrifice himself for the sake of my mom's enjoyment. However, he also really liked it as a skillful, respectful retelling of a classic fairytale and appreciated all the filmmaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment