Friday, July 14, 2023

Reading Scripture and entering into a conversation with God

One must not read Sacred Scripture as one reads any kind of historical book, such as, for example, Homer, Ovid or Horace; it is necessary truly to read it as the Word of God, that is, entering into a conversation with God. …

One must start by praying and talking to the Lord: "Open the door to me". And what St. Augustine often says in his homilies: "I knocked at the door of the Word to find out at last what the Lord wants to say to me", seems to me to be a very important point. One should not read Scripture in an academic way, but with prayer, saying to the Lord: "Help me to understand your Word, what it is that you want to tell me in this passage".
Pope Benedict XVI, Meeting with the Youth of Rome, 2006
This is something I have to keep relearning. It's a conversation and to listen to the Lord and to look for him through his Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment