Wednesday, June 21, 2023

I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be.

We are tied together in the single garment of destiny, caught in an inescapable network of mutuality. And whatever affects one directly affects all indirectly. For some strange reason I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. And you can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the way God's universe is made; this is the way it is structured.
Martin Luther King, Jr.

I have seen this truth in so many places — with my family and friends, work, and neighbors. Most lately it has become apparent in my volunteering with the Saint Vincent de Paul Society. It comes up repeatedly to me not only when I meet SVdP neighbors who ask for our help but in the weekly meetings where the group comes together. 

We help each other along or we get in each other's way. We're all woven together on our way to God. How do I become the person who helps more than I hinder? That's the question we must all ask as we strive to become saints.

No comments:

Post a Comment