Friday, August 26, 2022

Barchester Towers by Anthony Trollope

Trollope's comic masterpiece of plotting and backstabbing opens as the Bishop of Barchester lies on his deathbed. Soon a pitched battle breaks out over who will take power, involving, among others, the zealous reformer Dr Proudie, his fiendish wife and the unctuous schemer Obadiah Slope.

I listened to Timothy West's narration on Audible, which is wonderful. This is one of the last of my self-assigned books to read for my 2022 book challenge.

No wonder this is one of Trollope's best loved books. It is a lot of fun and perfect light reading. It makes me think of Thackeray's Vanity Fair although this book is gentler than that but it has the same vibe for me. He carefully builds a complicated tangle of characters who come clashing against each other quite naturally as each works toward a single-minded goal.

I grew quote fond of almost every character as we followed their trials and travails in doing things seemingly as simple as throwing a summer party — which is not simple at all as it turns out. Even the few people you love to hate have their moments of humanity as comeuppances are delivered.

I can foresee reading the entire series. 

2 comments:

  1. There are very few novels of Anthony Trollope that I do not love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that from so many people but just never got around to him until my daughter listened to the audiobook and began pushing this book at me. I read The Warden first since it was "in order" and enjoyed that too but in this one Trollope turned it up to 11!

      Delete