Friday, April 29, 2022

What return can I make to God for all his generosity to me?

What return can I make to God for all his generosity to me?
Psalm 116:12
==============

If I owe all for having been created, what can I add for being remade in this way? It was less easy to remake me than to make me. It is written not only about me but of every created being: "He spoke and they were made" (Ps. 148:5). But he who made me by a single word, in remaking me had to speak many words, work miracles, suffer hardships, and not only hardships but even unjust treatment. What return can I make to God for all his generosity to me?"

In his first work he gave me myself; in his second he gave me himself. Given and regiven, I owe myself twice over. What can I give God in return for himself?
St. Bernard of Clairveaux
via The New Jerusalem Bible, Saints Devotional Edition,
editor Bert Ghezzi
This is something I never thought of. All the work that God goes to to simply get my attention, much less remake me to be the better version of myself that I hadn't even imagined.

No comments:

Post a Comment