Wednesday, February 9, 2022

TV You Might Have Missed 1 — Crash Landing on You

A sudden storm leads to a successful South Korean businesswoman and heiress crashing her paraglider in the North Korean portion of the DMZ. She meets an army captain in the Korean People's Army who decides he will help her hide. How will she get back to her own life and escape prison in North Korea? Over time, they fall in love, despite the divide and dispute between their respective countries.

I came for the accurate depiction of North Korean life. I stayed for the charming actors, the romance and the drama itself. Granted, the drama can be pretty sparse in some episodes when the romance is front and center, but there are some genuinely bad guys and interesting dramatic tension. 

We're only halfway through but have learned some fascinating things about North Korean life. The writer interviewed North Korean defectors to get those details right.

Also it is sweet in the same way that I like in Indian movies. The romance is winning, the side characters are fun (the four Korean soldiers are great, as are the village women who interfere in the captain's life). 

Rose has seen enough K-dramas (Korean dramas) to clue us in to typical behavior or plot devices, but you don't need that to enjoy this. You do need to have time to watch a 19-episode show with each episode lasting between 1-1/2 to 2 hours. We often split them up in order to fit them in our schedule.

 It definitely is worth trying.

5 comments:

  1. If you ever want to listen to a podcast that discusses every detail, I know Heaving Bosoms talked about this show. I still haven't tried it but if the spectrum between you and them agrees, clearly I should. https://www.heavingbosoms.com/episodes/crash-landing-on-you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the name of that podcast! And you definitely should try it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crash landing on you is the first kdrama i watched and it totally hooked me on the whole genre.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have watched this three times. I keep trying to sign in, but it tells me my URL isn't valid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I could watch it again. The last bit, where they go to South Korea, really slows down and mostly becomes romance. However, overall I still recommend it and it is great fun.

      Delete