Tuesday, August 17, 2021

"Are there any good coming of age books?"

My friend Meg asked this question during last week's book club and I could only think of Huckleberry Finn. Which I was loathe to include, as was Meg. Now that's crazy because it is, of course, a coming of age book. But, as it turns out, neither Meg nor I like coming of age stories and we both like Huckleberry Finn.

At the same time another friend, Emily, mentioned Anne of Green Gables, to which I automatically said "No." Now that's even more bonkers because, of course, it also is a coming of age story and a good book. To me, though, it seemed too simple and sweet, without the deep layers of angst that I hate when reading about coming of age.

So I went home thinking about Meg's question and my peremptory exclusions. 

Suddenly I understood why I never liked David Copperfield until the very end where he's wrestling with his marriage ... and is an adult! Right. The whole darned book is coming of age with angst. So much angst. (Not that I don't love Aunt Betsy and Mr. Dick because, you know, Dickens isn't going to let you out of any book without making you love at least some of the people in it.)

Rose and I talked this over and came to the conclusion that  coming of age stories are fairly predictable and boring unless that is just one element of a much more compelling, complex tale. 

Naturally, I made a list. 

I'm including two classic coming of age tales because I encountered them at just the right age to love them always. And they manage to be legitimately good books even without lots of other elements.

  • Treasure Island
    Pirates! And ... no, that's it - Pirates!

  • Anne of Green Gables
    Classic

  • Little Women
    Classic

  • Kim
    Adventure, espionage, and exotic India from all walks of society

  • Northanger Abbey
    Deliciously fun satire of Gothic novels. And romance!

  • To Kill a Mockingbird
    Small town life in the South, racial injustice, and the best father in the world

  • Huckleberry Finn
    Road trip, adventures on the Mississippi, and racism

  • Citizen of the Galaxy 
    Slavery, beggars, exotic far-off worlds, spaceships, espionage

  • Dune
    Giant worms, interplanetary intrigue, and trying to spot the coming messiah

  • Harry Potter (books 1-7)
    Super villain, wizards, magic, Muggles —you already know why this is fun and also great

  • The Giver
    Fascinating utopian/dystopian society.

  • The City (Dean Koontz)
    Supernatural horror with plenty of jazz

  • The Jungle Book / The Graveyard Book
    Take your pick since Neil Gaiman wrote Graveyard in homage to Jungle. Raised by animals or ghosts, running from a tiger or a hired killer, encountering mysteries and wonders in a world that isn't human.

  • Jane Eyre
    All things gothic and mysterious. Avoid the attic!

  • Something Wicked This Way Comes
    The creepiest carnival ever. Do not — I repeat "do not" — ride the merry-go-round.

  • Ender's Game
    Giant alien insects want to invade Earth. Who can possibly save us?

No comments:

Post a Comment