Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Psalm 18 — A Prayer of Thanksgiving

When you have been saved from your enemies and delivered from your pursuers, sing Psalm 18.
Athanasius, On the Interpretation of the Psalms

This psalm is almost identical to 2 Samuel 22, although verse 1 of the psalm, "I love you, O LORD, my strength" is not included in the 2 Samuel version. Experts say that it was 2 Samuel was written first, probably by King David. 

Works for me! When I find something that I want to reflect on, I copy it into my prayer journal. I like to think of the psalmists doing the same thing. 

A large section of this shows how creation quakes, darkens, hails, and more when God is displeased on behalf of the psalmist. I love that imagery but even more I appreciate the reminder that God is not just the loving, gentle deity that we usually hear about in church. He's different. He's other. He's above us. He's God. And we do well to remember that also.


The Utrecht Psalter, End of Psalm 18 Carolingian manuscript, 820s A.D.

18:7-15. Divine Otherness

In these descriptions the psalmists are communicating several truths about the world in which we live. Creation is not the creator but can in fact be threatened by God's approach and presence. ... The fact that when Yahweh comes, the very foundations of the earth can be shaken to their core, illustrates that the continued existence of the earth is wholly dependent on the will and purpose of God.

By undoing the stability of creation, God is undermining any false sense of reliance by humans on their seemingly secure environment. In the words of the old spiritual, "This world is not my home, I'm just a passin' through!" Humans must hold existence in the world lightly and rely on God alone rather than any stability the world may seem to represent.

Psalms vol. 1 (The NIV Application Commentary)

We've got plenty of natural reminders that God is the one sure thing to rely on — tornadoes being what comes to mind for this Texan.

Sources are here and an index of psalm posts is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment