Monday, May 24, 2021

News of the World — in print and on screen

In the wake of the Civil War, Captain Jefferson Kyle Kidd travels through northern Texas, giving live readings from newspapers to paying audiences hungry for news of the world. He is offered a $50 gold piece to deliver a young orphan to her relatives in San Antonio. She had been raised by the Kiowa raiders who killed her family and is completely unfamiliar with white culture. Their 400-mile journey south through unsettled territory and unforgiving terrain proves difficult and at times dangerous.
I read this because my daughter, Hannah, recommended it. I don't know what I expected but it wasn't to be captivated, which is what happened. More than anything it put me in mind of True Grit. Which means I loved it for reasons that I can't really put my finger on.

Having seen the movie, I realized that the book was better plotted and written than I realized. I am going to listen to it soon, so I'll have a "news of the world" experience of having Grover Gardner tell it to me.


This was interesting because they did a pretty good job of telling the story. Not as good as the book but good enough in its own way. There were some changes of motivation which did not make as much sense and left one family member saying, "Why on earth does he do that?" And there were some added bits which I didn't mind but which were obviously there to be sure we understood the modern lessons  on a few things.  I did enjoy the "fake news" section which was added on but felt true to the original story.

Overall good with some great acting and beautiful cinematography. More than anything I wish the director hadn't gone for such dark lighting, with nights being very gloomy and even the brightest day somehow not being that bright. I get it. This is a serious story. You can lighten things up so we can see and we will still know the main characters are wrestling with serious personal issues.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't seen the movie, but I loved the book. There was something about the book that was so captivating. I'll have to check out the movie sometime! ~Christine

    ReplyDelete