Saturday, March 14, 2020

Sunday in a Time of Canceled Mass

In Dallas all Masses are cancelled through March 29 and we were pondering how to keep the day holy in a special way.

We're going to:

  • Read the Mass readings aloud (courtesy of Word Among Us which I have on my Kindle, but you can get them at the USCCB)
  • Listen to Bishop Barron's Sunday homily (read or listen at Word on Fire)
  • The Our Father and our own prayers of the faithful, ending with the Act of Spiritual Communion below.

I especially wanted to share this prayer with everyone, which is wonderfully appropriate for now ... but really is good for anytime. I came across it in A Year With the Eucharist and was struck by its beauty.
My Jesus, I believe that you are present in the Most Holy sacrament. I love you above all things: I desire to receive you into my soul. Since I cannot now receive you sacramentally, come at least spiritually into my heart. I embrace you, and I unite myself entirely to you, as if you had already come. Do not permit me to be ever separated from you.

Jesus, source of all my good, my sweet love, wound, inflame this heart of mine, that it may always burn for you.
Act of Spiritual Communion,
Alphonsus de Liguori
You are all in my prayers as we go through uncertain days together.

1 comment: