Friday, December 22, 2023

Jesse Tree - Day 16 - Jonah

This year we have the shortest possible time between the first Advent Sunday and Christmas. That means we won't be seeing a lot of the Jesse Tree entries. And I discovered that I should've switched to the O Antiphons on the 17th. Ah well, I told you this was going to be idiosyncratic!

We'll end this year with Jonah, who is a good example of what NOT to do (run away when God gives you a task) and what to do (pray when you're in the belly of a huge fish).

======

I last published these Jesse Tree posts in 2019. I want to revisit them this Advent so you're coming along for the ride!

The Jesse Tree helps us prepare for Christ's coming by studying His roots and Salvation History. 

Jesse Trees follow the same general outline but I've found they are widely varied in some of the details. Some may have one day for Moses, others may spend 4 days on different aspects of his life. I'll be following the basic outline but, therefore, using my own discretion in a few spots.


Day 16: Jonah

Symbols: whale

Jonah and the Whale
As a friend of mine once said, "Jonah is the comedy book in the Bible." It's 4 chapters long, it's an action story, and it's very funny. What's not to like?

The Church Fathers often compare Jonah's three days in the fish to Christ's three days in the tomb. I myself love the fact that Jonah is so busy running from God. Been there. Done that. Luckily without any huge fish being involved.

And I love the fact that God is so funny when he is poking Jonah at the end of the book. He cares enough to save the Ninevites who were the most hated people of their time. And he cares about each one individually, such as Jonah.

God Talks to Jonah

No comments:

Post a Comment