Thursday, August 29, 2019

Dum Laga Ke Haisha (My Big Fat Bride)


This charming romantic comedy is a fascinating look at the pitfalls of arranged marriage. When Prem's parents arrange a marriage to Sandhya, he didn't expect it to be with a woman who is more educated, has more earning potential, and is oversized. He can't even bring himself to touch her, which leads to one of the funniest and sweetest sequences in the film. He's even more taken aback when she stands up to him. Adding to Prem's woes is his failing business, which leads to the movie's climactic race where the husbands race through an obstacle course while carrying their brides.

This is from the writer/director of Sui Dhaaga (Made in India), which also looks at a couple who are struggling to learn to know each other after an arranged marriage. You can tell this is an earlier work, but I enjoyed it a lot. One of my favorite scenes was when the enraged couple were playing dueling songs at each other from the radio. I wish I knew what the songs were so I could have gotten the full message each was sending. It managed to be funny anyway. Halfway through I did get tired of Prem's continual whining but the ending was worth it. And I loved Sandhya the entire time.

Rating — for viewers with medium Indian film experience. (It's not rocket science, but without any cultural background at all you might feel kind of lost.)

No comments:

Post a Comment