Friday, May 10, 2019

Airlift

When Iraq invades Kuwait in August, 1990, a callous Indian businessman becomes the spokesperson for more than 170,000 stranded countrymen. The result was the largest evacuation in history.

None of us had ever heard of this event, which I suppose is natural considering that we were hearing about the U.S. side of the story. What an amazing feat.  I felt as if I were in war-torn Kuwait. I had tears of pride in my eyes at the end at seeing Mother India's flag aloft. Also I now love Air India.

This is a movie Hollywould be proud to have made ... good acting, excellent pacing. You don't have to like Indian films to enjoy this one. The husband-wife dynamic was interesting and they did a good job developing both characters as they matured while responding to the crisis. Akshay Kumar is an actor I've enjoyed in two other films and this one just adds to my good impression. His performance anchors the whole film.

Rating — Introduction to Bollywood (come on in, the water's fine!)

Scott and I discuss Airlift at A Good Story is Hard to Find.
Hannah and Rose discuss Airlift at An American's Guide to Bollywood.

No comments:

Post a Comment