Monday, December 31, 2012

FINAL: My 2012 Movie Challenge List

Originally written December 2011.

I realized that there, in addition to "must read" books, there are also movies that I've been wanting to watch for a long time but will ignore for a lighter or more modern choice. So here's my personal 2012 movie challenge list, in no particular order (this also resides as a page at A Good Story is Hard to Find).
  1. Dodes Kadan - Kurasawa (watched it and now can say that I've seen a Kurasawa film. Interesting and with many touching stories, although not a movie that I think I want to see again.)
  2. The General - Buster Keaton (Hilarious. Touching. Amazing. All that from a silent movie. This is a movie that you should watch if you haven't seen it. I was amazed at how much information can be conveyed without a single dialogue card.)
  3. Hotel Rwanda (An amazing movie about a horrible subject. But one that should be seen if only to remind us that such things happen and not as infrequently as we think. The acting is top notch, especially Don Cheadle).
  4. The Last Days of Sophie Scholl
  5. Water (India)
  6. Red (French w/ Polish director, 1st of trilogy)
  7. The Passion of Joan of Arc (silent)
  8. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (We are put in the paralyzed man's spot so much that I wanted to get up and stretch a lot. However, it is life affirming and shows the power that attitude makes in getting through seemingly unsurmountable obstacles.)
  9. Of Gods and Men (2011)
  10. Metropolis (German)

11 comments:

  1. Red = good stuff. best of the trilogy)
    Joan of Arc = Amazingly powerful shit. I saw it on a date at the Dallas Opera House (or maybe the bass performance hall?) accompanied by a full orchestra and choir. The music was composed specifically for the film by a contemporary composer. I forget details, but it was truly one of the most moving experiences of my life.
    Metropolis = Classic, but you really gotta be in the mood for some expressionism.
    And as always, Kurasawa was probably some kind of minor god who graced the world with a brief presence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sophie Scholl is incredible.
    Of Gods and Men is so so beautiful.

    But, Julie: where's the Comedy? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The General!

    Buster Keaton!

    That is comic! :-)

    Also, I pick up comedy constantly. The ones that I skip and can't make myself watch always tend to be dramas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can vouch for the greatness of 2-5. And The General will DEFINITELY lighten things up - it is HILARIOUS. Saw it for a film class and love it. I have not seen "Red" but I believe I saw "White", which was good, but it's all very... well it had a big undertone I think of the political and sociological views of the countries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would move Of Gods and Men higher up the list! It's a truly beautiful film. And I just bought the CD! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know I'm coming to this post 9 months late, but, I should point out that Red is the FINALE of the Three Colors trilogy. Blue is the first film, and White is the second.

    I personally liked Blue the best of the three.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHA! Well, that saved me a great deal of confusion I am sure! Thank you! :-)

      Delete
  7. Julie, didn't you post (a few years ago) an oatmeal bar recipe? I have searched your site, but can't find it, but thought it was from you. I would like the link if you have it. Thanks! CF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CF, which site did you search? Meanwhile Back in the Kitchen? Here's the recipe archive and here might be the recipe you want. Not sure ... but see what you find there. :-)

      Delete
    2. Rats. Nope, I thought it had cranberries or raisins in it. Oh well. Thanks anyhow!

      Delete
  8. Susan Vigilante9/18/12, 8:05 AM

    How can I think about movies when I'm still trying to figure out what those yellow orbs are?

    ReplyDelete