Monday, October 10, 2011

World's Longest Book Meme? 41-47

Part 5 comin' atcha! Picking up from where we left off ...

41. The longest I’ve gone without reading.
I must have had times when I haven't read, but I can't think of one. Ever.

42. Name a book that you could/would not finish.
Hyperion by Dan Simmons. I just lost interest after reading about a third of the book.

43. What distracts you easily when you’re reading?
Lately I've had more trouble with that. Could it be the famous lack of concentration we've been told is fostered by too much internet/social media distraction? I think it might be. However, when I'm immersed in a great story I find that I sacrifice all sorts of usual distractions in order to read as exclusively as possible. So in those circumstances, practically nothing distracts me easily.

44. Favorite film adaptation of a novel.
The Lord of the Rings trilogy. Thank you Peter Jackson! It wasn't perfect but it was probably closer than anyone else would have gotten.

45. Most disappointing film adaptation?
I am terrified it is going to be World War Z. For movies already made: Ron Howard's The Grinch Who Stole Christmas. Never have I hated a movie more. What a travesty.

46. The most money I’ve ever spent in the bookstore at one time?
I suppose it is the last set of books I bought for the Elements of Faith book club where a lot of people like me to pick up the next few months' worth of books for them. Gosh, that was over $300. I tend not to spend too much on myself for books at one time. You can hide the amount you're spending if you do it in dribs and drabs. Mostly because I'm spending so much time trying to NOT buy books ... I buy books the way some people hit bars. They're an addiction.

47. How often do you skim a book before reading it?
Almost always. Mostly because I pick up most of my books from the library and I hate to put them to the trouble of tranfering a book

7 comments:

  1. Clearly HYPERION must be the next selection at Good Story. :)

    (kidding!)

    Though I really did love that book. Except that it didn't end properly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NOOOOOOOOO!!! Thank heavens you were joking! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can quit any time!

    I can ....

    *buys another book*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny ... I know, right? :-D

    I actually kept my 2010 New Year's resolution when I spent less than $50 on books all. year. long.

    I just wanted to see if I could do it. And I did!

    However, I have not done nearly that well this year. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope Scott does force you to read Hyperion fully. The last two-thirds are much better than the first. Though the first book largely concentrates on telling the back-story of the member of the pilgrimage to Hyperion. The backstory on Saul was exceptionally interesting, though the first one told for the priest left me cold.

    I thought the next two books in the series were even better as it focuses on two characters not in the first book. Though there is a lot of Vatican in the future is evil nonsense wish a dash of Teilhard de Chardin silliness. The audiobook versions were exceptional.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ron Howard's Grinch was indeed horrible. But even worse was The Cat in the Hat. I was stunned at not only how bad it was, but the sexual innuendoes rampant in it.

    Another horrible adaptation was Jumper. The Stephen Gould novel is one of my favorites and the movie replaced islamic terrorists with the Vatican and pretty much had a plot that had nothing to do with the novel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. JEFF ... are you trying to kill me? You know that Scott takes your suggestions very seriously!!!! (Although I have to admit that Declare was quite good once I was forced to read it ... ahem ... now let us never speak of this again... ha!) I actually liked the priest's story but hated the second story (can't remember whose it was) ...

    I never saw The Cat in the Hat solely based on my Grinch experience and the Mike Meyers casting (that was Mike Meyers wasn't it?).

    I'll have to look for Jumper though. I didn't realize it was a book. I just knew it was a bad movie. :-D

    ReplyDelete