Tuesday, October 4, 2011

World's Longest Book Meme? 1-10

Well this may not actually be the longest, but I don't think I've ever seen one longer. I picked it up from the extremely literate Darwin Catholics, where Mrs. Darwin did the honors.

We'll take it in stages, shall we? A little every day ...
1. Favorite childhood book?
A Little Princess (also the Little House books, A Wrinkle in Time, and The Wonder Stick)

2. What are you reading right now?
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (audio), The Centurion's Daughter by Justin Swanton (review book), A Mended and Broken Heart by Wendy Murray (for Catholic women's book club)

3. What books do you have on request at the library?
Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury (audio and print versions for A Good Story is Hard to Find podcast), The catechist's toolbox by Paprocki, Joe (looking for any good tips for RCIA small group), The color of magic : a Discworld novel by Pratchett, Terry (Rose's request), Essential Pepin: More Than 700 All-Time Favorites from My Life in Food by Pepin, Jacques (not even at the library yet but I wanted to get in line early), The accidental sorcerer by Mills, K. E. (Jeff Miller liked this and I liked the Kindle sample ... but the library has it for free ...)

4. Bad book habit?
Reading too many books at a time. I just keep beginning interesting new ones and I wind up with 6 - 8 books underway. Then I have to get very stern with myself and not let myself request any new books until I'm done with some of the ongoing ones.

5. What do you currently have checked out at the library?
Declare by Tim Powers (for Good Story podcast), The light fantastic : a Discworld novel (Rose), The man in the high castle (Rose), Middlemarch (Rose), Nightwatch (Rose) ... can you tell that Rose isn't working right now? I want to read Nightwatch when she's done and someday I will tackle Middlemarch which she highly recommends.

6. Do you have an e-reader?
Yep. Very handy though I prefer real books.

7. Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once?
We all know it is several.

8. Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog?
I have less time to read and now must force myself to spend an hour each evening reading ... not that I don't slip in reading the rest of the time anyway (brushing teeth, getting dressed, feeding the dogs...all excellent quick reading opportunities)

9. Least favorite book you read this year (so far?)
The Chinatown Death Cloud Peril by Paul Malmont. I never finished it but so much explanation with so little story was a deadly combination.

10. Favorite book you’ve read this year?
Of the 125 books I've read so far ... East of Eden by John Steinbeck. I know, right? Color me surprised (and grateful that Scott picked it for Good Story). A close second is Declare  by Tim Powers (again, surprised and grateful ... this time to Jeff Miller)

4 comments:

  1. hahaha! I filled this out too, but hesitated because it was so long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh maybe I shall jump in on this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow good reads! just added the good story podcast to my ipod (thanks for that recommendation!) and added all the books from the catholic women's book group to my amazon wishlist. which by the way, you may know since you have an e-reader, but the book for january (father brown) is free on the kindle :)thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather ... happy reading and I hope you enjoy Good Story. Please do let us know what you think! :-)

    ReplyDelete