Thursday, November 9, 2023

The Aeronaut's Windlass by Jim Butcher

 I have very fond memories of this book from 2015, always tinged with regret that Jim Butcher postponed the sequel. Now I see that the sequel will soon be released and that's the perfect reason to relisten to this book which I enjoyed all over again. I'm rerunning my review just in case this idea grabs you too.

This is the beginning of a new Jim Butcher series. People live in city-state spires well above a hostile world, using crystals for energy. A likable group of heroes come together when their spire is attacked by a rival. It's got a steampunk feel and a bit of naval emphasis that is intriguing since I'm about halfway through Master and Commander. Oh, and talking cats. Actually with some people who can "speak" cat. It's a different thing altogether and, at this point, pulled off fairly well.

Although there are goggles and airships and everyone is very polite, this is really space opera rather than steampunk. Butcher is using standard space opera-esque characterizations and motivations but the tale that is unfolding is anything but predictable. This is helped along by a superb narrator who would entice me to listen to just about anything he read.

I like the people, especially the aetherialists (spelling is variable here since I listened and haven't seen the print version). Their likable zaniness makes a weird kind of sense. I especially like the subtle flashes of humor throughout, such as Bridget always calling Gwen's attention to the fact that her actions weren't so much heroic as rashly putting them all in danger. And thus Butcher undoes the standard space opera trope at that point by making us realize we were all agreed with Gwen originally because it was just what we expected.

I've been trying to think how to describe the feel of this book and this reviewer's comment struck me as right:

This book is what might happen if Joss Whedon handed Jim Butcher the reins and said, "Dude. The people want more. Pretend Firefly had a half-sibling. Now author a new book series and blow them away."
Overall, recommended as a rollicking good adventure in an interesting new world.

No comments:

Post a Comment