Friday, June 3, 2022

Christ and His Mother Studying the Scriptures

Christ and His Mother Studying the Scriptures, Henry Ossawa Tanner

Today I am in Houston attending the funeral of my godmother (my husband's Aunt C.B.). She died a while ago but the way things are these days, nothing worked out until now for our final goodbye.

This painting seemed appropriate because, with much trepidation, while I was still in RCIA she sent me Rome Sweet Home by Scott and Kimberly Hahn. I read it and was much moved. When I looked for something else Scott Hahn had written, I picked up A Father Who Keeps His Promises. 

It was formative for me in how I looked at scripture and salvation history in the Bible. Like Saint Augustine, I had thought the Bible to be a lot of simple stories that didn't always hang together. Thanks to Aunt C.B.'s early gift I was led to a deep appreciation of scripture that is part of who I am as a Catholic.

No comments:

Post a Comment