Tuesday, January 12, 2021

I had heard that I was in the wrong place, and my soul sang for joy

The optimist's pleasure was prosaic, for it dwelt on the naturalness of everything; the Christian pleasure was poetic, for it dwelt on the unnaturalness of everything in the light of the supernatural. The modern philosopher had told me again and again that I was in the right place, and I had still felt depressed even in acquiescence. But I had heard that I was in the wrong place, and my soul sang for joy, like a bird in spring. The knowledge found out and illuminated forgotten chambers in the dark house of infancy. I knew now why grass had always seemed to me as queer as the green beard of a giant, and why I could feel homesick at home.
G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy
Yes. When you find out you've been using the wrong orientation then everything comes into the proper focus. And you sing for joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment