Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Gospel of Matthew: Rowing into a Headwind in the Darkness

Matthew 14:22-23

I have heard many homilies about Matthew 14:22-33, when Jesus comes walking on the water in the night across the sea to the disciples in the boat where they have been battling the storm. Go read it for yourself. There are many details that I never considered about the timing which George Martin brings to our attention. Very, very interesting when we consider our own discipleship.

Also, when I look at this painting I realize that I'd forgotten just how dark it would have been. No wonder the disciples were creeped out!

Christ walking on the sea, Amédée Varint
... The wind-and-wave-battered boat bearing the disciples has long been taken as a symbol of the church (see also 8:213-27). Those in the boat have been sent forth by Jesus but face opposition and danger. Jesus is not bodily present; he is at prayer, at the right hand of his Father (26:64; Rom. 8:34). The church might seem to be making little headway despite hard rowing, but it has been so for disciples of Jesus from the very first. ...

We must presume that Jesus, atop the hill by the lake, is aware of the strong wind and of the struggle his disciples re enduring. Yet he does not cut short his prayer to come to his disciples; it is only during the fourth watch of the night that he came toward them, walking on the sea. The Roman way of reckoning divided the period from 6:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. into four watches; the fourth watch of the night ran from 3:00 to 6:00 a.m. The disciples have been battling strong headwinds from evening until almost dawn. Jesus sent his disciples off to row into a headwind and let them contend with it through the night.

[...]

Jesus does not calm the wind and waves; he tells his disciples to have courage and not be afraid, despite the wind and waves, because it is I. In its simplest meaning, it is I identifies the one walking on the water as Jesus: it is I, Jesus, who have come to you and tell you to have courage and not be afraid. Even if you are battered by wind and waves far from shore in darkness, you have nothing to fear, because it is I. I will take care of you.
Quote is from Bringing the Gospel of Matthew to Life. This series first ran in 2008. I'm refreshing it as I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment