Friday, March 13, 2020

You like to cook. Making breakfast is fun for you.

[The baby goats] were a lot of work, especially in the beginning. I tried, with moderate success to enlist my human kids to pitch in. One afternoon a few days after school let out for the summer, I heated the milk for the goats and filled their baby bottles. "Would you please take these out and do the feeding?" I asked Owen, who was lying on the floor, drawing a Transformer.

"You do it," he said.

"You do it?" I replied.

"Yes, you do it."

"Did you just say, 'You do it'?"

"I always do it," he said.

"That is not true."

He said, "I did it last night."

"And I did it this morning."

"Because I was sleeping. Besides, you like getting up early."

"I do not like getting up early."

"Then why do you do it?"

"So I can feed the goats! So I can do the laundry! So I can make you breakfast!"

"You like to cook," he said. "Making breakfast is fun for you."

"JUST GO OUTSIDE AND FEED THE GOATS!"

Owen stared at me in shock. He shouted, "You want me to be a SLAVE for you. Summer was not invented so kids could be SLAVES for their parents."

"Actually," I said wearily, "it was."

there were no exchanges like this in the Little House books, ever. Owen went outside. A few minutes later, I heard him singing.
Jennifer Reese; Make the Bread, Buy the Butter

No comments:

Post a Comment