Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Living with Deborah: Both Sides Now

Part 2 of the Deborah chapter from my new book, Thus Sayeth the Lord — let's take a look at how two versions of the same story help us have a nuanced view.

Part 1 is here.


LIVING WITH DEBORAH
Both Sides Now

There are only two chapters about Deborah, and the second one retells the first, but in poetry.

The prose chapter is a well-constructed, complete story. We get the religious and historical setting, Deborah’s and Barak’s roles, God’s instructions, battle strategy, and Sisera’s death. It’s a nice, tidy package.

The poetic chapter is dramatic and fun because it’s a celebration song. This is when it gets personal, immediate, and full of interesting details. Deborah stops bandits plaguing travelers, tribes are shamed for skipping battle, and “the onrushing torrent, the torrent Kishon” washed away the enemy.

What I find most poignant in Deborah’s song is a bit imagining Sisera’s mother when he never comes home.
Out of the window she peered,
the mother of Sisera gazed through the lattice:
“Why is his chariot so long in coming?
Why do the hoofbeats of his chariots tarry?” (Jgs 5:26)
Deborah clearly sings this triumphantly, especially since the next lines are from the mother’s maids saying that Sisera’s probably just picking out the best slave girls and loot to bring home. For me it brings home the fact that Sisera is someone’s son, just like all those other warriors. It makes all those people feel vividly alive for me. It’s a touch, however chilling, that we don’t often get.

These two versions are like reading the book and seeing the movie. Each has a slightly different attitude, while both communicate the truth. Scripture does this all the time. That’s why Genesis has two versions of Adam’s creation, and four Gospels tell Jesus’ life story.

What can’t be ignored in either version of this story is that it is God’s story, first and foremost. Deborah, Barak, and Jael are important, but the storytellers are really talking about God’s protection of his beloved people. In case we don’t get it, right after Jael nails Sisera with that tent peg, we’re told, “So on that day God subdued Jabin the king of Canaan before the sons of Israel.” Bam. The victory is God’s.

As much as I love looking at Deborah’s story from several angles, I tend to resist this sort of view in my own life. The big picture of my own story is so often told from different points of view by my husband and children, family and friends. If I’m not too wedded to my own version, I can learn more about myself, good or bad. My life is enriched when I open myself up to community and allow myself to be known more fully.
Tomorrow in part 3 we'll take a closer look at the two ladies who crush it for God - and what that means in our own lives.

Don't forget the book giveaway! Sign up here!

If you liked what you've been reading, don't wait. Thus Sayeth the Lord comes out on March 31. Preorder your copy now!

No comments:

Post a Comment