Thursday, July 25, 2019

Summer Listening — Treasure Island, Elijah, Movie Wala, Learn Hindi from Bollywood Movies

I'm linking to websites, but these are all on iTunes or available from other podcast providers.


CraftLit is back with Chapter one of Treasure Island. This episode has split science teams - scorpion stings - and rappelling down waterfalls - and that's not even touching the book. Hop in your boat, raise your sails, and have a listen.
Heather at CraftLit has been taking a well deserved break while she adjusted to a new job and many other things. But she's back with Treasure Island and I'm thrilled. No one else has Heather's ability to dig deep into a story. If you haven't tried this podcast before, this is the perfect opportunity. Heather plays the audio for each chapter, filling in listeners on needed context, and raising interesting ways to consider the story in relation to our own lives.



St. Irenaeus Ministries scripture study podcast is beginning a new study of Elijah, one of my favorite prophets.  Right after Habakkuk. I mean, we've all got a top five prophet list. Don't we?

I've mentioned this podcast before. It's scripture study that is practical. The teacher is extremely insightful in giving connections between scripture and daily life. I don't always agree with him, but he keeps it real. Although he has an orthodox Catholic point of view, this is the podcast I often recommend to non-Catholics.



We are Flo and Tanvi! Join us as we talk about Hindi movies aka Bollywood. Each season, we will talk about specific categories like Marital Dramas, Family Saga, etc. We are not critics (thank god for that!), we pick a movie and talk about our favorite songs, favorite scenes, gossip and why we picked that movie for that category - All served with a side of nostalgia!
With my love of both Bollywood and podcasts, it was inevitable that I search for a place where they intersect. In the first season Flo and Tanvi don't discuss movies indepth, simply covering the plot in a few sentences.They are more interested in discussing the fashion, songs, and acting. As I've been delving into the second season, they've been concentrating more on the movies themselves and I've enjoyed that a lot. When they've covered movies I have seen, such as Monsoon Wedding, they've opened new vistas for my enjoyment since there are cultural things I didn't pick up on until hearing their discussion.

Even when they're talking about movies I haven't seen (which is most of them), they will take little conversational side trips that open up Indian culture to me in a fascinating way. I've learned about Indian mothers and families, the hazards of getting groped in crowds in India, how NRI (non-resident Indians) talk in London, and how adorable Shah Rukh Khan is in the iconic movie DDLJ. (We're still trying to crack the code on DDLJ's popularity - it is definitely a cultural thing!)

It's a really specific topic, but Movie Wala Podcast is a lot of fun.




Watch enough Indian movies and you begin picking up words. Dil means heart. Achha means ok. Zindagi means life.

You also start wondering why so many Indian sentences end with "hai." Turns out that it's a conjugation of "to be" and Hindi sentences put the verb last. So that's one thing solved. Not by this podcast, though. I found it when looking for grammar but I kept listening because it's really funny.

Learn Hindi from Bollywood Movies is pure comedy and hard to describe. Luckily, I found an interview with the podcaster, Arjun Krishan, which does a good job.
Mr. Krishnan integrates dialogue from Hindi movies -- often gems of language construction and delivery in their own right -- into loopy scenarios of his own invention to build a kind of fantastical basic Hindi that will help you navigate the world of masala films.

A recent episode, for example, focuses on the pragmatic topic of how to ask someone their name in Hindi. Instead of a typical scenario of meeting someone on a train or at a party, Mr. Krishnan imagines employing police interrogation techniques like Amitabh Bachchan in "Inquilaab" (1984).
I'm not learning any Hindi from them but I am laughing — a lot. Arjun stopped adding new episodes in 2014 but there are over a hundred there to enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment