Tuesday, July 10, 2018

"I wouldn't want to do this with anyone but you."

These little choices to not selfishly take out one's frustration on another are not so different from the choices we have to make elsewhere in life in order to get along with others. In this sense, getting along with MrsDarwin is not so very different from getting along with anyone else. Thinking about marital virtue in this regard, one can think: Love is a choice. It doesn't have to be just one person.

There's truth in that too. Yet, it's so much easier to make those choices with someone to whom I'd so much rather be married.

I wouldn't want to do this with anyone but you.
Darwin

The best of all is when I love him because he is, literally, God’s gift to me: the unique spark of God’s creative love through whom, by the graces of marriage, I find my path to heaven. The path may be dark sometimes, or rough, or busy, or blissful, but it’s never solitary. Through the sacrament of marriage, we walk it together, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do us part.
Mrs. Darwin
Over at DarwinCatholic the Darwins have a lovely post in praise of marriage that is written with both idealism (even after 17 years) and loads of reality (because - 17 years). I really enjoyed it and the above excerpts can't do it justice. Please do go and read it for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment