Saturday, November 2, 2013

The Commemoration of All Souls

Reposted from last year with a few updates to my list.

The Day of the Dead, William-Adolphe Bouguereau (1825-1905)
Today we dedicate our prayers in suffrage for the souls in purgatory, still being purified of the remains of sin. Our ties with deceased relatives and friends do not end with their death. Priests can celebrate Mass three times on this day for their benefit, and all the faithful can gain special indulgences to expedite their entrance into heaven.

I think today of my beloved dead. I love them and I miss them. Certainly, I pray for them to be happy and joyful in Heaven.
  • GG
  • Raymond
  • Thelma
  • Grandmama
  • Deedah
  • Tom's father
  • Tom's mother
  • Ivar
  • Dorsey
  • Dorsey's mother
  • Carole
  • Heath
  • Phyllis
  • Jeanmarie, Sydney, Matthew
Here is a litany for the souls in Purgatory.

You can read more about All Souls' Day here. For those with any questions about Purgatory I posted this extremely basic explanation a while back.

Catholic Culture explains indulgences and practices that Catholics can do during the month of November for the Poor Souls in Purgatory. Also be sure to swing by Recta Ratio, who's really got soul ... check out his place. In the past he has examined such fascinating topics as Catholic death customs, especially medieval ones. I hope he reruns it for us this year as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment