Monday, June 3, 2013

Worth a Thousand Words: Fukagawa Susaki and Jūmantsubo

Hiroshige (1797–1858), One Hundred Famous Views of Edo #107,
"Fukagawa Susaki and Jūmantsubo"
Via Wikipedia
Tom gave me a beautiful art book of One Hundred Famous Views of Edo. For some reason there is no better way to spend a Sunday morning before heading off to 11 a.m. mass than looking leisurely at a huge art book while sipping coffee.

I do realize this is an indulgence denied to those with young children. Which just makes it all the sweeter than I have earned this luxury, I do assure you.

At any rate, I've been enjoying it so far and I love the perspective given with the bird of prey descending in the foreground while we look past it to the landscape and defining mountain beyond.

2 comments:

  1. I actually have invested in some large art books to look at carefully with the older children, who are still pretty small. Bella loves fine art and Sophie and Ben seem to be following suit. This looks like a book I should put on my wish list. We've recently developed an interest in Japanese art and culture after seeing an awesome samurai exhibit at the museum.

    But to spend a Sunday morning looking through a book and drinking coffee instead of running around like a beheaded chicken looking for tights and shoes and changing diapers and brushing hair.... yes that luxury is far off in my future. It's nice to imagine you enjoying it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your time too will come! I recall those days very well, sometimes with an ache for those little ones. Yes, they are now grown, lovely young women who brighten my life. But those little ones are gone. :-)

      Each time of life has it's own pleasures. Coffee and art books are in your future! :-)

      Delete