First Walt Mossberg, whom Tom holds in very high regard (a coveted and difficult to win regard, I might add), called it a laptop killer.
Hmm, I'm impressed by his accolades but still not that interested. However, the iPad has now gained respectability in my mind.
Then I read an impassioned love letter from someone who had absolutely no initial interest (of course) about how the iPad is fantastic for reading not only books but long posts (on a blog which I found via a couple of links and now seems to be lost to me). Long posts. The kind that I copy and dump into a document to print out and take home because I too dislike reading long pieces on the computer. Also I was swayed by her point that she wasn't tempted to stop and multi-task or email ... because those things weren't available. One of my problems, identified right there. Just trust me when I say it was persuasively written.
It almost made me want an iPad.
Almost.
Now I read an equally persuasive piece from The Curt Jester. Who I respect technologically. Who reads a lot ... like I do. Who knows the tests to give a computer before he praises it. He does admit that he is less than objective: To put it simply I have become an Apple fanboy and not only do I drink the Apple Kool-Aid I have it intravenously fed to me. I'm not quite that bad, but I do know the song he's singing.
And that he thought a tablet computer was a dumb concept right up front: I wished Apple would release one just to shut those people up. Preach it!
But then he fell, and fell hard.
I can feel my steely will power weakening. Waning. I am slipping toward that black hole. Help me before its too late ...
My only hope. It looks like a money pit. And that's a pit I've got nothing to toss in.
This is when poverty is a good thing. Believe me.