Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Feast of St. Ignatius of Loyola

I have met many people in my life so far-- good, bad, charismatic, melancholic, scholarly and facetious-- but I have never met someone who has had such a remarkable transformation. I have known former druggies who have become numeraries and seemingly pious individuals fall to the whims of the flesh. Is it impossible then in this present age to become a saint? With all the excesses and self-aggrandizing so prevalent in modern society, it is difficult not to lose focus. We are constantly being misguided and thrown off course by a combination of many things, chief among them our unshakable pride. I admit that I am too often a victim of such circumstances.

I guess it all comes down to the Cross. ...
Truer words were never spoken and that Cross is a mystery that we must encounter to even begin to understand the saints. I don't have anything new or interesting to say about St. Ignatius who I admire greatly. However, go read the rest of the post at Ecce Ego as he has some good reflections on this feast day.

No comments:

Post a Comment