- Chronological Bible Reading
I made it partway through Jeremiah last year. And into the Book of Wisdom from the middle column. I'm waiting to read the New Testament until I get done with the old one first. I'm not on a timetable. There's no reason to rush through just to read the Bible in a year.Here's the plan I'm using.
- The High Window by Raymond Chandler
This is the last Chandler I haven't read. Might as well finish all that lovely prose this year.
- A History of the Jews by Paul Johnson
- The Interior Castle by Teresa of Avila (reread)
- North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell
I was looking around for another author somewhat like Dickens and Gaskell's name kept coming up.
- Thomas More by Peter Ackroyd
I've always wanted to try Ackroyd's writing and who better to read about than Thomas More? It might be more More than I want (haha) but it can't hurt to try.
Robert HeinleinMature Science Fiction
Looking around for new science fiction to try, I wound up back in an unexpected spot — back with one of the acknowledged masters from 40 years ago. I thought I'd read a lot of Heinlein's books but it turns out not to be the case. I'm looking forward to diving into both the juveniles and adult books. There's nothing like old science fiction, after all!
UPDATE: As I entered the new year, I found myself with lots of science fiction authors from Heinlein's time (which spanned a considerable part of science fiction history in my lifetime). I am going to read Heinlein, to be sure, but I am also going to look for more authors who I've just plain missed.
• Pat Murphy: The City, Not Long After
- Left to Tell: Discovering God Amidst the Rwandan Holocaust by Immaculee Ilibagiza
- I Shall Not Hate: A Gaza Doctor's Journey on the Road to Peace and Human Dignity Izzeldin Abuelaish
This is going to be my year of Shakespeare movies, I think. There are several I've been wanting to see and plenty more to discover once I begin seriously looking. I've always shied away from Shakespeare but Joss Whedon's Much Ado About Nothing made me want to dig deeper.
I've got just a few to begin with - will add more as I go.