This year, considering the lack of attention I paid last year, I thought about not doing a list. However, I realized I do actually have some goals for this year. They are fewer and more focused, which is all to the good.
- Dante's Divine Comedy [done]
I feel as if this is going to be my year of Dante. Last year my interest in Louis Markos' Heaven and Hell put Dante on my mind. I began reading Anthony Esolen's translation. I wanted to read through with as little use of notes as possible this time through.
I read John Ciardi's translation my first time around.
Once I finished the Esolen translation, I began listening to the Benedict Flynn translations which were done specifically for audio and read by Heathcote Williams. They were simply fantastic and added to my understanding of the book (at least on the surface level).
- Finish Dickens' novels: [done]
- • Martin Chuzzlewit — liked this despite expecting to hate it because Dickens' savages America in the middle. That part was so one-dimensional that it slid right off of me.
- • The Old Curiosity Shop — there was more to this than I had been led to expect. And I liked it!
- • Mystery of Edwin Drood — read this one last. Liked it even though it was only half finished upon Dickens' death.
- • Hard Times — the biggest surprise of all was liking this book which I'd heard was dour, dark and ... hard. Loved it!
- Reread Middlemarch
I've been wanting to do this for the last half of 2015. It's time to let it happen.
- Use my "To Read" list
I have pages listed of interesting fiction and nonfiction titles that I never get to because something shiny distracts me to the latest new thing. No more! There is a reason I wrote those names down. I need to try them out!
- Read the Bible in Chronological Order - ADDED IN APRIL
Now I won't be doing this in a year, but it is a new reading goal, so I'm tossing it in here in case anyone else is interested. I'll keep track of what I've read here (fingers crossed I remember)
- Use my "To Watch" list
It's the same problem I have with books. So many reviews have prompted me to keep lists of movies and then I never use the list! No more!