Tuesday, December 31, 2013

My Top 2013 Movies

My favorite movies seen in 2013 with descriptions in 10 words or less. In the approximate order in which I saw them.
  1. Looper (2012) directed by Rian Johnson, stars: Joseph Gordon-Levitt Bruce Willis
    Time travel, big themes, from a director I love. (my review here)

  2. Searching for Sugar Man (2012 documentary) directed by Malik Bendjelloul
    An American musician, a South African legend, a mystery investigated. (my review here)

  3. Bernie (2011) directed byRichard Linklater, stars: Jack Black, Matthew McConaughey, Shirley MacLaine
    A sweet funeral home manager, a possessive and grasping widow ... a true story. (my review here)

  4. Argo (2012) directed by Ben Affleck, stars Ben Affleck and a big cast of "hey, it's that guy!" actors
    Smuggling six Americans out of the Iranian revolution ... a true story (my review here)

  5. Erroll Garner: No One Can Hear You Read (2012 documentary)
    Erroll Garner's genius in improvising, communicating joy, and inspiring others through jazz. (My review here)

  6. Of Gods and Men (2010 French: ‘Des hommes et des dieux’) Directed by Xavier Beauvois
    Trappist monks must decide whether to flee Algeria from terrorists or stay and serve God ... a true story (My review here; the A Good Story is Hard to Find podcast discussion here.)

  7. 12 Angry Men (1957) directed by Sidney Lumet, starring: Henry Fonda
    A classic, "must see" for a reason. Simply wonderful. (My review here.)

  8. Attack the Block  (2011) directed by Joe Cornish
    Solid alien invasion, monster movie set in British council block (a.k.a. "the projects). (my review here)

  9. Gravity  (2013) directed by Alfonso Cuaron, stars Sandra Bullock, George Clooney
    An immersive emergency in outer space ponders gravity on several levels.

  10. Muscle Shoals: The Movie  (2013 documentary) directed by Greg 'Freddy' Camalier
    A man who's lived the blues, the Swampers, shattered stereotypes ... and lots and lots of music. (My review here)

No comments:

Post a Comment