Monday, October 24, 2011

The Light Fantastic ...

The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2)The Light Fantastic by Terry Pratchett

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

In The Light Fantastic only one individual can save the world from a disastrous collision. Unfortunately, the hero happens to be the singularly inept wizard Rincewind, who was last seen falling off the edge of the world...
I thoroughly enjoyed this book which gives us not only Rincewind the wizard who can't do magic, but Twoflower the tourist and his Luggage (made of sapient pearwood so it can follow and protect him wherever he goes), Cohen the Barbarian, and many more memorable characters.

This is vintage Terry Pratchett which means that not only does he tell an amusing adventure story but he makes many a good commentary about people and society along the way using humor. I never would have looked for this book myself but must be grateful that my daughter Rose wanted to read about Discworld from "the beginning" and then highly recommended the book to me.

1 comment:

  1. Wizzard.

    I truly enjoyed Sean Astin's portrayal of Twoflower in the movie.

    ReplyDelete