Monday, December 6, 2010

Not That I Might Talk About Zombies Too Much ...

... but I had more than one person sending me a link to this New York Times story, My Zombie, Myself: Why Modern Life Feels Rather Undead.

For the record, though I think the writer is off base. George Romero's zombie movies were about capitalism and discrimination ... in a casual kind of way. 28 Days Later was looking at abuse of power ... kind of ... what with the military guys and the airplane later (though I don't want to say too much in case you haven't seen it and are planning on doing so). The zombies are merely the newest "toy" in the threats and are being explored in various ways.

Most apocalypse stories have something else at the core than the anxiety over everyday life. Otherwise, why not pick up on The Stand by Stephen King? Those characters fretted over everyday life enough that one of them even subconsciously got anxious over April 15, even though the need for paying taxes was long gone.

Not that I'm opinionated or anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment