Thursday, July 21, 2016

Voting FOR Someone — Updated

A vote for Hilary is a vote for Hilary. A vote for Trump is a vote for Trump. And a vote for Darrell Castle (WHO?) is a vote for Darrell Castle.

To say that my vote for Darrell Castle (WHO?) is a defacto vote for Hilary Clinton tries to deny me the right to vote for the best person running for president.
And a vote for Gary Johnson is a vote for Gary Johnson.

I've been honestly stuck between not voting at all and voting for one of two major candidates who do not reflect at all what I want to see from my beloved country's leadership.

Invariably, when I've said I was in a quandary about who to vote for, someone has always hissed in my ear, "Vote against [this person]."

I voted against in the last couple of elections and see where that got me? Supporting people I was less than crazy about while losing anyway.

Bethune Catholic's comment above realigned my priorities. Yes, vote for someone. They probably aren't perfect. After all, if you are Catholic there is no political party that is going to live up to your goals completely.

But it's a positive action that serves as a witness to the sort of leader I wish we had. And that's the best I can do.

UPDATE
I realized I need to clarify my position.

It's not about voting for either Trump or Johnson. I cannot stand Trump or Clinton and cannot in good conscience vote for either. So it comes down to no vote or voting for Gary Johnson.

9 comments:

  1. Oh, Julie, I rarely disagree with you but voting for just anyone will indeed put Hillary in the White House and no matter what you think about her in regards to all the other issues - as Catholics, how can we aid and abet that. She's in bed with Planned Parenthood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I realized I need to clarify my position, which I'll change above.

      It's not about voting for either Trump or Johnson. I cannot stand Trump or Clinton and cannot in good conscience vote for either. So it comes down to no vote or voting for Gary Johnson. :-)

      Delete
    2. RE: PP, As is Trump.
      Who is also extremely dangerous with regards to our national and domestic security. Considering he doesn't even believe facts are a real thing, I'd much rather support a candidate on the side of the poorest and most marginalized among us. It's just the Christian thing to do.

      Delete
  2. Julie, I am so glad that you posted this. Thank you.

    Every time Team Clinton persuades me that maybe I need to support Trump, he opens his mouth and undoes it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Familiar with the phrase "Negative Partisanship"? little john

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never heard of it, actually, but I believe I've been subjected to people trying to push me into it. :-)

      Delete
  4. I also was 'never Trump OR Hillary' (I'm also Catholic) BUT cold wind of reality hit me...ONE of these 2 WILL be in the WH next year...Can I in good conscience let Hillary win unchallenged? we KNOW what she is FOR and it's evil far more than good. Trump is a wild card...SO my conscience concluded that a vote for Trump (suspect as he is)is a vote AGAINST Hillary's anti-life and anti-Christian policy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand. :-)

      I will say that my vote for Gary Johnson is not letting Hillary win unchallenged. It is also a vote against Hillary.

      Delete