Friday, July 3, 2015

A Movie You Should See ASAP — Inside Out


Growing up can be a bumpy road, and it's no exception for Riley, who is uprooted from her Midwest life when her father starts a new job in San Francisco. Like all of us, Riley is guided by her emotions - Joy, Fear, Anger, Disgust and Sadness. The emotions live in Headquarters, the control center inside Riley's mind, where they help advise her through everyday life.
There are not enough stars to say how much I loved this movie.

The movie description, while accurate, cannot possibly do this film justice. Ignore it and go anyway because this is one of Pixar's masterpieces.

It works because we all recognize everything going on in this girl's life and in her head. If Pixar had taken a false step we would have felt it, because we all know the source material so well. They hit every note perfectly to tell a nuanced, complex story that made me laugh and cry (just a little), touched my heart and made me appreciate my emotions just a little more.

I didn't read more than the beginnings of all the positive reviews because I didn't want the plot revealed. And I am going to follow that guideline here.

This movie ranks with The Incredibles and Wall-E, which is to say it is Pixar gold standard. This is already a top movie of my year and it may just push its way onto my all-time favorites list.

Get out there and see it in a crowded theater where you can enjoy it best.

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha, I just wrote a comment on Good Story about this movie. It really was incredible.

    Up might be my favorite Pixar movie (and one of my favorites of all-time) but this is easily just as good and one of Pixar's best.

    I second that everyone should see this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was waiting for my nieces to come to visit to see this and I worried that it wouldn't still be playing. Thankfully, it was. We saw it yesterday and loved it!

    Thank you so much for this review!

    ReplyDelete