Thursday, April 25, 2013

Ten Things to Do Instead of Wallowing

Has life ... or the economy or politics or the state of the world ... got you down?
After a while, reading the headlines stops informing you and starts deflating you. You think you're filling your brain with information so you can be spurred to action, but you're really just filling your heart with despair until you feel like there's no point in even trying to act.
We can't control most of those things. Simcha Fisher has a list of things you can do "What can you do right now, when you're sitting in your kitchen..."

I share it because in the last six months or so I have taken to doing about half the things Simcha shares on her list for the same reason. And I've begun pushing them on people.

The one I've found most helpful in my own life? Turning off the news and computer. It really allows you to reclaim your real life instead of the artificial one being poured out of every media outlet.

The one I hadn't thought of but am now thinking about? Writing an actual letter.

The thing I'd add? Read a book. Adventure, romance, history, mystery. There is something out there that will whisk you away to another world or give you a balanced perspective or ... maybe both at once1

Thank you Simcha for writing the post that has been in the back of my mind for a while now!

1 comment:

  1. Julie, this is exactly what I needed to read today, since I've got a bad case of the feeling-sorry-for-myself-it's-Monday-again-too-soon blues!

    ReplyDelete