Monday, April 23, 2012

Word of the Week:

Ever since I read about the Dictionary of American Regional English, I've been itching to get my hands on a volume. There are six volumes, with the last finally being published after decades of work being done. Loving words the way we do around here it is hard to imagine a more wonderful book for browsing than one featuring all sorts of obscure regionalisms.

Here's the DARE website where you can find out more and from which I'll be pulling a word now and then for our edification and entertainment.

Let's begin with DARE's word of the month:
Rusticator

A vacationer, esp a summer boarder.
Where does it come from? How do you use it? What examples from the past can you see? DARE has it all for you. Go and enjoy!

UPDATE
Tim Canny mentions something that I meant to tell you. You can follow them on Twitter (twitter via @darewords) and get words much more frequently. Thanks Tim!

1 comment:

  1. Just one more cool thing I owe the knowledge of to you! Now following them on twitter via @darewords.

    ReplyDelete