Monday, September 26, 2011

A Pregnancy is Not a Disease. Neither is a Baby.

On August 1, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) issued an "interim final rule" that will require virtually all private health plans to include coverage for all FDA-approved prescription contraceptives, sterilization procedures, and related "patient education and counseling for all women with reproductive capacity." These are listed among "preventive services for women" that all health plans will have to include without co-pays or other cost-sharing -- regardless of whether the insurer, the employer or other plan sponsor, or even the woman herself objects to such coverage. (emphases are mine)
Seriously?

I feel as if we're in A Brave New World and it ain't a feelin' I like.

I discovered this because our church bulletin had an insert produced by the USCCB about it. (Thank you!)

Go find out more at the USCCB site, including:

  • the pdf for that bulletin insert
  • an easy way to send a letter opposing this rule to HHS
  • an easy way to send letters of support for the Respect for Rights of Conscience Act (HR-1179).

I just got done doing all this and it didn't take very long.

Please take a few minutes and speak up.

4 comments:

  1. The sacrifice of babies to Moloch creeped out even other pagans; our government seems to have institutionalized this one religious practice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My god, I'm happy I left the church after 41 miserable years. I stopped getting migraines after I left. So much misogyny. It was like leaving an abusive marriage.

    You converts can HAVE it and argue over skirts and headscarves and perfectly legal medical procedures.

    Good riddance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Faun: I'm always mystified as to why pregnancy is considered a "women's issue." It affects everyone ... and so the idea that it is misogynistic to want babies is also confusing to me.

    Also, I am mystified as to why someone who was so miserable and finally is set free from faith and the Church would hang out here. Is it that you miss the migraines? I'm not being flip. I just don't get it. I don't hang out at agnostic blogs. I'm happy to be done with that nonsense and move on. If they want to think that way it is fine. I don't understand why you aren't moving on in a similar fashion.

    However, best wishes despite my mystification. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like so many who have left the Church, or claim to, Faun's story doesn't add up. Who remains miserable in a voluntary institution all the while believing it hates them.

    Perhaps, she was a Catholic for 41 years. Perhaps she came to believe it was misogynistic at some point and left. But, to be miserable in a misogynistic institution for 41 years is absurd. I would say Faun is lying or a real fool.

    I know anti-Catholicism pretty well. I grew up in it. So many who become Baptist or Atheist or feminist recreate their Catholic past into something horrid. The new Baptist claims to have never heard a word about salvation in the Church. The new Atheist claims we believe in an old bearded man in the sky. The new feminist claims to have suffered terrible misogyny. None are credible.

    ReplyDelete