I rented the most recent version of True Grit this weekend (Jeff Bridges, Mat Damon) and was most impressed by it.
I didn't expect it to be so funny in addition to the grittiness.
Check today's quote in the sidebar for what I mean.
Anyway, I was intrigued enough to now want to watch the first version to compare John Wayne to Jeff Bridges. And also read the book to see how well the movie stacks up to it. For me to be interested enough to even consider doing all that, it means I was well and truly riveted.
I also liked the way that any long shots (for the guns) were equaled by long shots from the camera, showing just how very difficult it was to see anything at the ranges being spoken of.
Recommended, though there are a couple of spots where the violence was truly horrific, albeit brief.