Monday, June 19, 2006

Mind's Eye Moment: Transformation from Geography to Time

From age to age you gather a people to yourself, so that from east to west a perfect offering may be made to the glory of your name...
Becomes in the new translation:
…you never cease to gather a people to yourself, so that from the rising of the sun to its setting a pure oblation may be offered to your name”
In Mass this week I noticed a few of spots that will be changed when the new liturgical translation is used. One was the above quoted "east to west" line.

I suddenly thought of "from the rising of the sun to its setting." In my mind's eye I could suddenly see the Earth as a globe, slowly turning with continents coming under the sun's glow and fading away as they went into night. It turned that prayer for a moment into the eternal Church, praising God around the globe without ceasing.

It was a beautiful image and one that I hope will be merely the first of many when we actually begin using the new translation.
For from the rising of the sun, even to its setting, my name is great among the nations; And everywhere they bring sacrifice to my name, and a pure offering; For great is my name among the nations, says the LORD of hosts.
NAB, Malachi 1:11

No comments:

Post a Comment